How do I find a home to rent in Torbay?

You can either rent a housing association property or go into private rental; however, you need to be aware of the fees, contracts and responsibilities that come along with both options.

An overview of renting in Torbay

There are two types of home to rent in Torbay; 

  • Housing association properties
  • Private rented accommodation

Both have their pros and cons, so look into both before making a decision about where you’re going to live.

Why should I choose to rent a housing association property?

Housing Association properties are usually part of a smaller estate, or a single house on a street. They can be for one person or for people sharing.

Apply to join the waiting lists for a housing association property by registering with Devon Home Choice. 

Remember, the number of properties available is limited and there is a long waiting list so most people are not successful in getting a social housing property. It typically takes 18-24 months for Devon Home Choice to find you a home, so if you need to move quickly do not rely on them to find you a home.

If you already live in a housing association property and don’t have an urgent need to move, you can register with HomeSwapper to find another social housing tenant to swap homes with.

What if I choose to rent from a private landlord?

There is a wide variety of homes to rent in the Torbay private rental sector, so you have much more choice than if renting social housing.

Make sure you consider carefully how much you can pay per month when you are looking at properties. Work out how much rent you can pay to identify your budget.

If you are relying on Housing Benefit to help with your rent, you will need to know how many bedrooms you are entitled to and your local housing allowance rate. This will help you work out how much help you’ll get with your rent.

Please note that you may have to pay fees for using a rental agency or for credit checks. There is no help available for these fees.

How do I find a home to rent in Torbay?

There are several places you can look to find a home to rent. The four main places are:

  • Online (sites like RightMove and Zoopla)
  • Letting agencies
  • Local newspapers
  • Supermarket or newsagent’s notice boards
Can I get help paying rent in advance and deposits?

Torbay Council cannot act as a guarantor for your tenancy, but there are schemes that may be able to help with rent in advance and deposits.

The scheme you use depends on what help you need and whether you are receiving any Housing Benefit. 

If you only need help with a deposit, try the Torbay Council’s deposit bond scheme by applying on their website.

If you need help with more areas of housing, it’s best to talk to the local Citizens Advice Bureau about your housing options.

What should I do next?

Before you make a decision about your housing situation, make sure you’re fully informed about your options. Take a look at these resources: