What is the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

The Personal Independence Payment (PIP) supports people with illnesses or disabilities by giving them a little extra money.

It is replacing the Disability Living Allowance for those aged between 16 and 64.

An overview of the Personal Independence Payment

The Personal Independence Payment is given to people who have extra care or mobility needs as result of a disability.

There are two parts or ‘components’; the daily living component and the mobility component. You may qualify for one or both of them. This will determine how much you are paid through PIP payments. 

You can get it on top of other benefits, and it’s not means tested so your income and savings do not effect your eligibility.

Am I eligible for PIP?

You must be aged 16 to 64 and have a health condition or disability where you: 

  • Have had difficulties with daily living and/or getting around for three months
  • Expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than six months to live)

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years and be in one of these countries when you apply.

If you’ve recently returned from living in another EEA country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

How much might I get?

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you’ll get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you are getting the right support.

PIP is made up of two components. Whether you get one or both of these (and how much you’ll get) depends on how severely your condition affects you

Daily living component – Either £57.30 or £85.60 per week

Mobility component – Either £22.65 or £59.75 per week*

*Rates apply from April 2018 to April 2019 and are usually paid every four weeks

If you have a terminal illness and are not expected to live more than 6 months, you’ll get the higher daily living component. The rate of the mobility component depends on your needs.

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into one account, for example, your bank account.

Other assistance

You or your carer might also qualify for more financial help, for example, the Carer’s Allowance or help with housing and transport costs.

If you get PIP and you work, you might also be able to get the disability element of Working Tax Credit (up to £3,090 a year or up to £4,420 if your disability is severe).

Contact the tax credits helpline to find out.

How do I claim Personal Independence Payments?

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.

Telephone: 0800 917 2222

Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766

Lines open Monday to Friday, between 8am and 6pm

What should I do next?

Before you apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP), make sure you’re fully informed about the benefits you’re entitled to. Take a look at these resources: