What if I’m struggling to pay my rent

Take action if you’re struggling with your rent; talk to your housing provider or landlord. There are also several local organisations that can help you.

Get advice from organisations like Citizens Advice and/or a debt advisor.

Remember, you might be entitled to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent if you have low income. Use our benefits calculator to find out more.

If you cannot afford the shortfall between your rent and your Housing Benefit you may be able to get extra help through Discretionary Housing Payments. These are short-term awards and should not be relied on as a permanent additional income.

What should I do next?

Before you make a decision about your housing situation, make sure you’re fully informed about your options. Take a look at these resources: