What can I do as an employee or employer if I need advice or have a complaint?

It can be difficult to know what to do if you have an issue with your employer or employee, but there are plenty of sources that can help you.

Who are ACAS?

ACAS, the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, provides free and confidential advice to employers, employees and their representatives to resolve disputes in an informed and efficient way.

They cover several areas like:

  • Employment rights and responsibilities
  • Best practice and business policies
  • Resolving workplace conflict
  • Pay and the national Minimum Wage
  • Discipline and grievance
  • Contracts, terms and conditions
  • Working time, rest breaks and holiday entitlement
  • Equality in the workplace
  • Working for an employment agency or gangmaster
  • Agricultural workers rights

Acas helpline
Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint about your employer or employment agency, or complain on behalf of someone else.

Address your complaint to:



HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

National Minimum Wage

Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate

All employment agency legislation (except agency worker regulations)

Gangmasters Licensing Authority (GLA)

Agency workers in agriculture, horticulture, shellfish gathering or associated processing and packaging

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Working time issues including maximum weekly working hours

Agricultural Wages team in the Rural Payments Agency

Agricultural wages

What should I do next?

Before you make a decision about your employment, make sure you’re fully informed about your rights and what you’re entitled to. Take a look at these resources: